Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What a Week!

Hello!

So let me try to update everything from this week...

MONDAY: We had our second apartment check and what do you know? WE GOT A GREEN CARD! Finally! Classes went fast. Then the roomies and I got ready for our very first cooking lesson!

We headed to our lesson at a woman named Mrs. F, an American who married an Italian man and then stayed in Florence. She's nice and seems to know her stuff. We got to her cozy apartment around 6:30, washed up, and began our first lesson. There were 8 of us total, including Mrs. F. We received our personal cook books, with each lesson's itinerary, as well as "spin-off" recipes. Fabulous! I can't wait to be a chef!

So for our first lesson we made our four-course meal: Polenta all Piastra (grilled polenta with cheese), Papal al Pomodoro (tomato bread soup), Pane ai 5 Cerealo (5-grain bread), Frittata di Porri e Patata (eggs with leeks and potatoes), Fagiolini in Umido (stewed green beans) and finally Crostata di More (blackberry torte).

Dinner was delicious and it was literally the hardest waiting I've had to do for food. Definitely worth it though, and I may or may not have helped myself to seconds and thirds. It was definitely one of the best meals I've had in awhile. We got back from lessons three and a half hours later, stuffed to the brim, which made it easy to fall asleep with my food baby.

TUESDAY: Up early for classes, it was definitely difficult to get through Art History. Afterwards, I convinced Diana to tag along with Kristie, Rachael, and I for our Tuesday trip to the central market. Good thing she did, too, because I "made out like a bandit" as she'll agree with. Kristie showed us to the best dried fruit I've ever had (the first dried fruit I've ever had for that matter..). I loaded my bag with dried strawberries and cherries. I'm definitely more of a fan for the strawberries - yum! They taste just like gummies. Afterwards, I showed off my kielbasa stand and got some kielbasa snackskis too. Next, picked up my mozzarella! Finally, onto the best veggie stand in the central market. I got 10 potatoes, 2 red onion, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, and 1 yellow pepper, plus a huge chunk of celery all for THREE EUROS. That's $4.23. Such a steal!

More than thrilled with my market purchases, the four of us headed back to the apartment for some lunch. I cooked up the veggies and kielbasa with pasta for Diana and I. Afterwards, time for Italian. We had an author come talk to our class about her novel. We had to translate some passages and she criticized the use of Google Translate (with good intentions).

After Italian, it was way too nice outside to sit in The Cave all day, so thankfully Diana was up for more adventures. We met up with Ari and a friend and all went over the bridge to La Carraia. Easily, my favorite gelato in all of Florence. I decided to be completely crazy and go for some fruit gelato, since I'd never had it before (I usually stick to tiramisu or baccio). I debated but ultimately settled for a 2-euro cup of raspberry & strawberry. Wise decision. We got our gelatos and had no place in mind to walk. We knew we wanted to be in the sun, so we just sat on Ponte Carraia (the bridge) and sat and talked. It was perfect. Eventually we ran into Kristie and Sarah Barker (our Aussie teacher).

After gelato, it was still too nice outside to go home so instead we wandered up to the leather market with SarahFrank. We wandered throughout the entire market and decided to head home and get ready for the night. After a quick power nap, I made dinner and Ari, Sarah and I made the half-hour trek to Diana and Kaila's apartment. We sat down, chatted, and realized we all have the same circles of friends. I love what a small world it is! I can't wait to get back to school and all love on Italy together.

We headed out around 11pm to BeBop, a local bar that on Tuesday nights has a Beatles cover band. We got to the Bop, realized it was too packed (we were a little late), and decided it best to just try again another week. Instead, we all just walked around Florence in the perfect nighttime weather. I love this place. Around 12:15am, Ari took us all to one of Florence's infamous "secret bakeries." My second bakery in less than a week - I'm loving life! Big girl bed here I come! We all got donuts - some chocolate and the rest cream. D-E-LICIOUS! The perfect end to a fabulous night.

TODAY: Sociology was a struggle, as I could barely follow what Pierluca was trying to prove. He talks in circles sometimes, but it's okay. I made the greatest To-Do List ever. Afterwards, Italian was the best time, per usual, as we were listening to "Due," an Italian song by Laura Pausini. It's supposed to a love song, but after we translated it, seemed more like a psychotic attempt to find love. It really was ridiculous. Entertaining to Justin, Kaila, and I though.

After classes, Kristie, Ari, Ann, Brooke, and I had lunch at The Oil Shoppe, one of my favorite sandwich shops in Florence. For 6 Euro, you get a huge sandwich, fries, and a water. It's a deal. Right from lunch, Ann and I managed to be only a minute late to Simon's class. A somewhat interesting lesson, we had a sight visit to Orsanmichele. Five minutes and a worksheet later, I was home-free!

So that's been my week. Tomorrow I have classes and unfortunately one is my last cultural literacy class with Barker. Womp. Shortly after that, I leave for Prague for the weekend with Rachael, Kaila and Joe!! I can't wait. I'm not too happy that I'm leaving gorgeous Florence weather for colder Prague weather, but hey, I've got the travel bug :)

No comments:

Post a Comment