Monday, April 18, 2011

Bros on the Beach

Ciao!

I can't believe how fast time is flying here. I only have 19 DAYS left....WHAT!?! It's so crazy to me. It still has yet to hit me that I'm in Florence. Okay, now for a VERY quick recap of the past week:

TUESDAY: I'm going to call this Food Day Galore or the Day of 100 Food Babiez. I literally ate my weight. When I say "literally" I mean it. I'm half proud, half impressed with how much I consumed. So for starters, after art history, Diana, Sarah, Alyssa and I ventured near Santa Spirito to find Mama's Bakery, the American bakery with bagels, cupcakes, and brownies galore. Successful, I ate an onion bagel with jalepeno cream cheese for breakfast. It was phenomenal. Afterwards, Diana and I stopped at Rivoire to get "real" hot chocolate...aka melted chocolate in a cup that you eat with a spoon. It's incredibly rich and when you get a little cup only half-ful, don't complain. It's for the best. So that was item #2 checked off of my list and it wasn't even 11am. Wonderful!

After eating maybe half of the half cup of chocolate, Italian class was fun per usual. Afterwards, I made a lunch reservation at Pizzaiolo II, a Neopolitan pizza place that is on my list. Joe, Rachael, Ari, Steph, and I had a pizza lunch and it was delicious! I ate my entire 10 Euro pizza and hobbled home. Sick to my stomach, I napped. After my nap, Allie and I met up with the Gino Caponi girls for aperitivo at Kitsch. Successful this time, we landed a table, ordered drinks (strawberry margarita for me) and ate plates of food. The food was great and I ate so much food that I honestly felt sick. Unfortunately, it was also free cone day at Ben & Jerry's (which we have here in Florence) so on our way home, we stopped for ice cream. The cherry to my food coma, I was useless once I got home. Way too full (but happy to have checked FOUR things off of my List) I went to bed early.

WEDNESDAY: I woke up throughout the night feeling horrible and was sick for the entire day. Missed my first two classes (my first skips of the entire semester), I made it through half of Simon's class and came home to sleep more. Misery.

THURSDAY: Art history field trip to San Lorenzo and the Medici Chapel. It was interesting, but I was still feeling bleh. In Italian, we played Pictionary and Charades, which was actually a lot of fun. I'm no actress, but I think I did a pretty accurate skit of "Bailare in Discoteca" ("Dancing in the Club"). I love school. After Italian, it was all work and no play. Eventually, Kristie, Jess, Rachael, Ari and I left for the Amalfi Coast! YEAH!

FRIDAY: We arrived in Sorrento, our first stop of the coast, at 3 a.m. We checked into our hostel, Seven Hostel, and took a quick nap. We had to wake up at 7 a.m. to make it to our ferry around Capri. It was a pleasant and quick ride, which was good because apparently I'm not good anymore with motion. Anyways, we got to Capri and switched onto smaller boats to head towards the Blue Grotto. I didn't even realize we had arrived and wondered what all of these tiny little boats and Italian men were waiting for. Then I saw it. A three-foot hole in the cliff wall. I looked even harder and realized that these little boats and Italian men were hurling themselves through the tiny little hole in the wall. THAT'S THE ENTRANCE!?! I was expecting something like streamers, a huge sign, maybe even some fireworks. No. It was really a hole in the cliff wall.

Rachael, Kristie, Jess and I climbed into one of these little boats, paid our entrance fee at another boat, and, soon enough and eyes shut, we too were hurled through this little three-foot hole. Phew! Success! No limbs lost, no heads scraped off.The Blue Grotto is incredible. Granted, we were only in there for a minute, but it was beautiful. I can't understand how the water is such a fluorescent blue. It's magnificent. A definite must-see. I loved it. Next time, I'm going swimming in there.

After our Blue Grotto tour, we finished our boat tour of Capri, finally docking at the Grand Marina. From here, we hiked up the most intense hike (sad, but true) through people's front yards. I don't know how they make this walk every day. We finally made it up to the mid-level and took a detour to see the gardens. It was beautiful from the gardens and looking at the cliff edges made me realize how truly spectacular this island was. The water is incredibly beautiful, I hadn't seen anything like it. And the roads that huge the island are the craziest, windiest, scariest roads I'd ever seen. Good thing I can't drive here...watch out!

After a few "mom pics," we all took the bus up to Anacapri, the higher part of the island. Up here, we had lunch - pizza of course - and tasted Limoncello. I'm not a fan, but I hope some people are. There's so many lemons in Capri!!! It's bizarre how huge they are. Also, there are custom sandal shops everywhere. I wanted a pair, but not for $80. I'd rather shop at Target, thank you very much Italy. We wandered around for a good portion of the afternoon and just relaxed.

Back at our hostel, we had a quick dinner of pasta and salad and, exhausted, went to bed early.

SATURDAY: Off to Positano for the day! The bus ride along the cliff's edge was torturous to me, but a beautiful ride nonetheless. We arrived in Positano and walked down to get to the water's edge, stopping at Vino & Panino for lunch along the way. The beach was a "black sand" beach, which is deceiving because it's not sand like in the States. Sand = Pebbles. Different, but I still enjoyed myself. The weather was much better than the previous day, which was horribly chilly and overcast. At least today, we had some sunshine and it was extremely pleasant when we did.

As soon as I layed my bed sheet out, I realized this would be an interesting beach day. It would be "bros" on the beach. All of the Barcelona kids on our tour were typical frat kids: the speakers for the iPod, booze, and rowdiness. I brought my book to read and instead napped the day away. It was perfect. The Bros were interesting to watch and I can't complain because it was highly entertaining. Baby. The kid who body slammed his girl. Good times.

I dipped my toes into the Meditteranean Ocean for the very first time - but not the last - and it was freeeeeeezing! I know it's not swimming season so I wasn't disappointed, but still! Woah!

Walking up to the buses for departure, a girl tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I had attended governor's school in 2007. With only 200 people on that program, I pretty much knew everyone and OMG, it was Jenny!!! What a small world. She was traveling from Rome. It was so fun to see another govie, especially one that I haven't seen since 2007! I love it. Govies rule :)

For dinner, we all went to a restaurant in Sorrento. Jack & Justin were able to come with us and it made for a fun dinner. I ate the steak, which was delicious, calamari, and french fries. And wine. Always wine. It was a great meal.

Afterwards, we went back to our hostel, where J&J had a private honeymoon suite on the rooftop. Ha! I love it. We met up with Mark & Joe and all headed up to hang out in the suite. It was fun just to chill and talk with a bunch of people from our program. Time flew by and soon enough it was bedtime for me!

SUNDAY: Pack up & check out. I had the best seat on the bus (traveling every weekend let's me find out these things) and we headed to Pompeii. Pompeii was interesting. Our tour guide was absolutely horrible, so I feel like I didn't experience everything. We didn't see the Pompeii that I had in my mind's eye, but maybe I had imagined it wrong. Anyways, the ruins were interesting enough. Apparently, the civilians really liked the phallic symbol and put it everywhere. Our guide even told us if you're lost to "follow the penis." Interesting advice. We saw the infamous dog and the "pregnant lady" who wasn't pregnant, just stomach just inflated from the intense heat.

After Pompeii, we headed onto the bus and drove 6 hours home to Florence. It was a piece of cake bus ride! Got back pretty early and an early bedtime for me.

TODAY!! Up early and out way before class, I went to Mama's for breakfast. An onion bagel with veggie cream cheese started my day off right. I relaxed. I sat on Ponte La Carraia for a bit before soc class. Then class. Again, no idea what we are learning anymore. He always talks himself in circles. Instead, I made an awesome To Do List, per usual. Afterwards, we attempted to take the school picture. We held up traffic only to find out that there was a shadow on half of the school. So next week we will attempt another school picture. Italian was fun and fast.

Afterwards, it was Oil Shoppe with Kaila and Julie. So delicious, I had a meatball sub. Hung out in there for a bit with Justin and Nicole until I realized I was supposed to meet my friends in from Sevilla at the Duomo. Yay! I found them on the steps and it was love at last! I finally got to see Lind$ay and we reunited with my Interlaken lovers, Matt & Mike. They all grabbed lunch and we sat and caught up a bit. Eventually headed towards La Accademia, to find out it's closed on Mondays. What else to do? Shop at the leather market! They loved it and I even got myself a bracelet. Score. Eventually, we went to get gelato at my fave, La Carraia. I had to run to cooking lessons to make it at 6pm.

Sadly enough, it was my last cooking lesson of the semester. It was a good one though! We had Pane Romano: Rosette (Typical Roman bread), Crocchette di Mozzarella (Mozzarella balls), Minestrone di Riso (Vegetable and Rice soup), Sogliole alla Fiorentina (Sole & spinach with white sauce), Bignole all'Arancio (Orange cream puffs), & Spumante (similar to champagne). It was a fantastic and delicious last meal. Mrs. F. gave us each a gift for completing her cooking course: a wooden scooper for sugar/salt/tea leaves/etc. THANK YOU MRS. F!!

So now I'm back and procrastinating like crazy. I have 3 huge papers due all within the next 10 days. I can't believe I go home so soon. I'm itching to see people, of course, but I can't imagine the reverse culture shock that I anticipate happening. Only time will tell!

I'll try to squeeze in one last update before Greece - yeah! - but no promises. I'm running out of time!

Buonanotte!

No comments:

Post a Comment