Friday, April 22, 2011

Butter.

Buonasera!


So let me see what's happened this week. I was extremely lazy....I can't believe it's already Friday - almost Saturday.

TUESDAY: Well, I weighed my options for the day and decided that seeing my dear friend Becca was more important than going to Art History. I met up with Becca and we had a delicious breakfast. That's the 3rd time I've seen her in Europe & I absolutely love it. After breakfast, we said our goodbyes and I went on with my other classes. Italian went fast. Unfortunately, my brain was off so charades was interesting, if not embarrassing. It was my turn to act out a word and I had pulled out "divirtirse" which means "to have fun." I get up into the middle of the circle in front of the class and start to mime out putting on my pants and shirt. Everyone in my group yelled out "vestirse!" and I was happy they had guessed my word. Wait! What? That wasn't my word. That was my exact reaction. I just laughed at myself (and I'm sure my cheeks went beet-red) and asked my teacher for a re-do. She obliged and instead I acted out my original word...for real this time. My group - thankfully - guessed it and I sat down, extremely embarrassed but laughing. What a day it was going to be. After Italian, I worked on my papers for the rest of the day. No more fun.

WEDNESDAY: Again, for the second day in a row, I weight my options and decided that sociology class would just have to wait. Instead, I went to Mama's Bakery and got myself a bagel with veggie cream cheese and a coffee. It was nice going alone and just thinking and doing my work. At Mama's, there was a pair of two women. One was an elderly woman and the other middle-aged. It seemed that the elderly woman was learning English from the other woman. It was impressive to witness. It again just makes me feel so ignorant and stupid as an American for not learning other languages. I understand that English is a common language, but other cultures are so talented with languages. I feel extremely lazy.

Italian again and this time we had an actor in class. He was entertaining. We went around the class and introduced ourselves. He taught us various Italian hand gestures (as Italians use their hands FOR EVERYTHING). Then we split into two groups and made up skits to use the gestures. I WAS A GYPSY! The role I'd been preparing for all semester and it was finally my big debut! Luckily, I had worn a white scarf to class that day, which made for the perfect gypsy outfit. I even borrowed Jack's water bottle for my "baby rocket." The skits were entertaining and funny, even if we didn't correctly use the gestures. Next time!

THURSDAY: I was actually planning on going to Art History and instead slept through my alarm. What a shame! Rather, I took my time getting ready, took a walk along the Arno, and met up with Sarah and Diana for lunch at the Oil Shoppe. The best. My sandwich - Salsiccia alla Toscana - was amazing, per usual. Italian was nice. There were only 7 of us, since most everyone had left for Easter Weekend already. We just reviewed for our midterm, which is already sneaking up on us. Ew!

After Italian, Rachael and I spent the day out. We went to Carabe, which is a Sicilian ice cream shop near the Duomo. It's also on Simon's list. It was delicious! I wasn't really sure of what Sicilian ice cream was, but I discovered it's similar to gelato, just a bit icier. Mi piace. We sat on the side of the Duomo and people-watched. I can't believe how crowded Florence has gotten in the past month or so. Tourists....UGH! Afterwards, Rachael got some iced coffee at Astor's and we went for some groceries. A very relaxing day indeed. Just what I needed.

TODAY: I woke up without an alarm, something that's pretty unusual. Unfortunately, it was only 10am. Rachael and I went to A Casa Mia for lunch. However, their website says they open at 11:30, the sign on the door says 12noon, and the waitress told us 12:30pm. Italians! To kill some time we bought fruit at the San Ambrogio open market, which isn't as great as our Central, but it sufficed. I got blood oranges and Pink Lady apples. Favorites. Oh, and I got a fried polenta to hold me over. That's when a gypsy touched me. I hope I'm not cursed.

We finally went to A Casa Mia and it was open! Hoorah! We got una tavola per due and had a pleasant lunch. This place is incredibly cheap for all that you get: three courses, water, and a coffee all for seven Euros! I had gnocchi rose (gnocchi in pink sauce), frittura gamberini (fried shrimp), e erbe saltata (cooked spinach). Delicious! Rachael didn't make out so well with her course selections. She was disappointed with her arrosto misto (mixed meats) that turned out to be on the bone or hairy chicken wings. Ooops.

After lunch, we stopped at Vivoli for gelato on the way home. It was time to branch out and try new flavors. I got their infamous "rice" flavor, as well as pistachio. The rice was delicious and even had actual rice pieces in it (which I actually could've done without). The pistachio was eh, I tried it. I'll stick to my coffee.

Lunch and gelato out of the way and it was only two o'clock. We went to the library to get some work done and be semi-productive. It was quiet there. Afterwards, I came home and worked on my history paper. I finally finished it! Eight pages later and a lot of struggles. It's done (or at least done for now). Now, I've got to work on my Art History paper. We'll see how I can fill six pages about Botticelli's Primavera. This should be interesting.

After celebrating the completion of a paper with a glass of red, Kristie and I went to get gelato. Yes. My second gelato of the day and you know what? I wish I had eaten a third or fourth! So you can judge me because I love gelato. I'm not ready to part with it. Only two more weeks of endless gelato so I plan on taking FULL advantage. Mommy - Wegman's gelato doesn't count, I'm sorry.

Now I'm relaxing in my jammies and stumbling. I haven't stumbled all semester and of course, right when I have papers to write and finals to cram for, I become re-addicted to it.


That's just the way it goes.

Buonanotte a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment